The article has some great facts about the dam:
- Completed in 1917
- Built primarily by German and Italian immigrant labour
- 1843ft or 561m Long
- 307ft or 93.5m High
- It's the last stop for 90% of NYC drinking water
- Water from the Catskills and Delware river watersheds flow into the reservoir
- It holds approx. 30-billion gallons of water
- The reservoir covers 2,200 acres and is sited on the old crossroads of the village of Kensico
Great runs/rides - Kensico dam
to go there with google earth, copy/paste the following into a file with the extension of .kml, then double click and google earth will be invoked and you will fly straight to the location.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Kensico Dam Rehabilitation Project Begins - from NYC Gov.
Kensico Dam History - from NYC Dept. of Environmental Protection.