triman (triman) wrote,

  • Location:
  • Music:

Sometimes you should listen to your body

So I got up to ride out to San Marcos this morning, should have been a long ride at as fast pace as I could sustain, 86-miles roundtrip. Never happended.

As I turned from Stassney onto South 1st I was just thinking I feel too tired and my legs unresponsive to push all the way out to San Marcos, I was already playing with ideas to abbreviate the ride. Then after the next light I looked up and saw a pack of maybe 30-riders up ahead, maybe 1/2 mile away. I sprinted cafter them and jumped on the back. Turns out this was the Sunday Freewheeling ride and leaves 24th St between 8-8.15am.

I got talking to a couple of the riders, then we stopped at a light and was able to get the lowdown, they were doing 65-miles out to somewhere called goforth(?) Tx. It was a good ride, intermeddiate pace, all real cyclists rather than Tri types. It was the first time I'd riden where no one else had tri-bars. Then one of the guys touched my back and asked where my gloves were... I just looked at my feet and said "no socks either, I'm too cheap!" - No point in starting the Roadie vs Triathlete discussion... *grin*

Enjoying the conversation, I missed a signal if there was one, a massive pot hole in the road right dead center for my front wheel, I bunny hoped it but my rear wheel came down on the edge of the hole. I lost one of my bottles and carefully turned around and went back to collect it. Everything else seemed fine. We stopped at a gas station for the half way, took maybe a 20-minute rest.

When I restarted my legs felt slugish again. I got dropped on a series of 3-hills and a sprint. One of the guys held back. We rode together and I picked up speed on the sprint section, nicely doing 27-mph. On a corner though my rear wheel drifted right out to the point I almost came off. A little later on the same thing happended again. A quick look down and confirmed I'd got a slow puncture. We caught another of the guys and I said I'd stop to change the tube. I had the rear wheel off and tube out in no time. The guy we'd just caught had a pump and I quickly inflated the tyre. Just one last pump .... and BANG. I'd stripped the valve off the tube.

Changed into my 2nd tube, started pumping, nothing. It had a small hole. D'oh. One of the guys furtunately had a deep rim tube and we were quickly back on the road, this time I topped the tube off with a C02 cartridge rather than the hand pump. The three of us rode back to Austin and although it was hot I avoided any cramps by drinking plenty.

About 4-blocks from the house it all went t*ts-up. My gears started slipping and I looked down and I'd bust a spoke and my rear wheel buckled. D'oh, and then to top it off I got unbelievable cramps in my right and left thighs. I managed to find some shade and lay down. Eventually the cramps subsided and I had to carry the bike "jinx" style back to the house, walking barefoot. Ouch the blacktop was HOT!

I went for a short run around the block and no problems with the ankle, I bought a cold drink and ice cream at the local convinience store on South 1st and back in the house, took a cold/ice bath, warmed up and took a shower. Then I got the worst cramps in my left calf. Ouch.

Should have listened to my body, done an easy 30-miles and had an early lunch.

Stats for the day:
Weight: Before the ride 208.5lbs
Weight: After the ride 201.5lbs (yep that was 7lbs different, dehydrated me, no I must have almost dried-up.)
Bike: 52-miles; ride time: 3:11:20 17.28MPH

Next-up: Get the wheel fixed; anyone got any spare Rolf Vector Pro spokes?
Tags: austin, cycling, freewheeling, training
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.